Sunday, August 29, 2010

Te Reo Maori

The government puts on free language classes for Te Reo Maori (the indigenous language of New Zealand) and I met some students who go on Tuesday nights, so I’ve been taking language class with them and learning more about Maori culture, history, and how to speak te reo! I love languages and I’ve found it to be really helpful in pronouncing NZ place names and learning cultural conventions.

The thing I love most about it, though is meeting people that I normally wouldn't have the chance to meet. We are one big happy whanau (that's maori for family) and the food is always bountiful! It feels like I am stepping onto the set of a sitcom every time I enter the classroom. There are the archetypal characters and then there are the quirky comedians, and everyone seems to have a different perspective and a different history. I've decided that I fit in as the quirky foreign kid who pronounces everything oddly, and I love it!

2 comments:

  1. KIa ora Ashley..well spoken. Love the blog. I gave up twitter months ago..I found it was slightly inane for me. See you tonight.

    Aroha..
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save journey, we hope you never forget your times on our Maori sitcom lol.........Ka nui rawa te mihi.....

    ReplyDelete