Monday, January 18, 2010

My first days here!


Wow. I'm in Wellington, and I was unaware of how gorgeous this city is. When I step outside I smell and array of wildflowers, and everywhere I look I see lush green hills with houses perched precariously on the slopes. It's such a colorful, eclectic city! I spent my first day fighting jet lag, walking the city, and meeting up with some of the students who are here around during the summer. They even let me sit in on their action group (aka Bible study)! The students I have met so far are so wonderful, I am pumped to spend the year with them!

My teammates (who I am living with until we get a flat down in the city) live in a suburb called Ngaio (pronounced naye-oh). Josh and Jill Felix, their two sons Isaac (4) and Hudson (2) and then my other teammate Sarah (future flatmate) have been helping me get accustomed to NZ life. Saying things like "chippies" instead of chips, introducing me to their favorite soda, "L &P", and showing me how to get to the market (literally, we hiked through ta gorge to get there)!

Soon we will be setting up a bank account, then on Thursday we go to Auckland for a staff conference where we will plan for the year ahead. More to come later, and there are photos on facebook of my first few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment