Tuesday, February 16, 2010

3,500 Freshman Orientation Bags

It has been an eventful week! My friend Kara, who initially shared her experiences in Welly with me and inspired me to pray about joining the team here, just arrived from the States. She got engaged to a kiwi two months ago and is moving back to join our team for the next year. She'll be the first to tell you that she prayed for laborers last year and had no idea that God's answer to that prayer would be her!

I also had my first "unofficial" days on campus this week. On Monday Sarah, Steve (another teammate) and I went to the Library to make copies of 3,500 inserts to put in the freshman orientation packets, with some info on Student-life and what it is all about. We spent two hours cutting them out and turned them into the VUWSA (Victoria University Wellington Student Association) office. Then Tuesday morning VUWSA asks that if your club wants something in the packets, you send a representative to help stuff them. So Kara and I went in at 9am to stuff orientation packets. It was a great way to meet students and get to know them. When you are standing next to someone for 5 hours and can't really go elsewhere the conversations get pretty interesting. We talked about everything from New Zealand politics, to faith, to Wellington's culture---all things I've been told to never talk to strangers about!

That being said, I came home with a fever and stomachache, ate 2 peices of toast, and went to bed at 7pm. Fortunately when I woke up at midnight, my fever broke and my stomach now only hurt because I was hungry. We have our staff retreat to Hawkes Bay tomorrow and I would have been really disappointed if I had missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment