Sunday, February 21, 2010

The last week of summer

I am ready to say goodbye to the summer holiday! We had a wonderful week, spent a few days as a team on our staff retreat to Hawkes Bay, enjoyed the warm sunshine in Welly, climbed Mt. Kaukau, and ran a 7k race. I've noticed that being active energizes me, so being outdoors all weekend and spending time with my teammates was the perfect way to end the summer before we start our 9-5 planning meetings this week.

The team retreat was refreshing. I spent most of my time getting to know my teammates, relaxing on the beach, reading my Bible, and admiring the 1920's art deco style of the buildings and the people. Apparently we picked the right time to visit this little town! It is so good to spend time with my team in an unstructured environment because the work we do is so personal and important that I want to be able to appreciate each person and become friends.

enjoying the view from the top of Mt. Kaukau

I also took the weekend to explore Welly's nature, and climbed Mt. Kaukau, a local summit of about 1400 ft. that provides a view of all of Wellington and part of the South Island (on a clear day). It was a spectacular sight and a neat opportunity to pray over (literally) the city that I am serving in.

The race was challenging, but I really enjoyed it. Running has become a new hobby of mine within the past year, and the part I love the most about it is the metaphors it provides for our faith life. It requires perseverance, strength, endurance, pain, elation, triumph, work, and dependance on the Lord to carry you through. And with this race in particular, you cannot always see the end! The course ran along the curvy bay of Wellington, and the sun was bright over the South Pacific Ocean. It was impossible to see the finish line until the last 1/2 kilo and I thought it would never end!

As great as this week has been, I am more than ready for our planning meetings and getting ready for the school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment